Packing For Local Transfer to Zanzibar vs International
Your local transfer to Zanzibar may have much lower baggage limits than your international carrier. TIP: Use an accurate scale to ensure you keep within the weight allowance. Local flights luggage allowance is one piece of luggage of a maximum weight of 20kgs per passenger for checked in baggage and a carry on luggage allowance of up to 5kg in a single bag. It is recommended to bring soft luggage that can be easily placed into the undercarriage compartment. We can accommodate hard shell suitcases.
- If you have any extra luggage and this will be subject to availability. There is a charge of every kilogram above your regular allowance. Costs will depend on the airline.
Zanzibar And Its Dress Code:
In town or village, as most of Zanzibari's are muslim, having the right dress code is highly appreciated and show respect to the native. Hot weather - a long skirt or loose-fitting pants are also good in the heat and will protect you from the sun. You can wear loose and below the knee, cover shoulders and if you can, elbows. Women - Take some loose covering, or buy a Kanga to cover head and shoulders if in doubt. No short pants for men but sandals or open toe shoes are ok.
On the beach, things are more relaxed; bikinis are ok, but definitely not thongs and do not go topless as it is illegal. When walking on the beach, our advice would be to cover up with a scarf or wrap and a sunhat. You'll be protected from the strong sun but also avoid unwanted attention.
What To Pack:
- Clothing - Recommend carefully selecting 1-2 outfits/day - include an outfit for day time and one for the evening time (party outfit or dining outfit) plus a light cardigan for the chili nights. Choose your clothes according to the activities scheduled, you can reference your itinerary. Remember to leave room for all the souvenirs you will get while visiting.
- Beach wear - Recommend 2-3 pieces with a cover up/ scarf ( Recommend to bring colorful beach wear for amazing pictures), Sunhat and sunglasses.
- Footwear - 2-3 pairs of shoes. Pack a pair of dressy sandals, beach slippers, comfortable wear sneakers (like toms). You can bring a pair of comfortable heels but not necessary.
- Health - Don't forget to bring your medication: Malaria pills. If on medication including allergy medication - remember to bring a 2weeks- month supply. (place it in your carry on)
- Hygiene - Pack size products: toothpaste, lotion, sunscreen, tooth brush, Sanitary napkins for women, mosquito repellent, wet wipes and anything else you think you need.
Currency - Coming with cash, remember to travel with 2010 or above $50 or $100 bill notes. Older bills are not accepted at most bureau changes or will change it at a lower rate. 20, 10 or 1 dollar bills will be exchanged at a lower rate. ***Recommend to do all your exchange when you arrive as you will also get a better local rate for each dollar you exchange. You can also use your card if needed.
If you are alone as a female traveler, you may be subjected to unwanted advances from random guys or "beach boys". Wearing a fake wedding ring can be useful to help ward off such attentions.
We hope this information is helpful.
If you have any questions or need assistance planning your trip, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org